Lozier Architects/Engineers Records
Content Description
This collection consists of documents, ephemera, newspaper clippings and photographs from Lozier Architects/Engineers, a Rochester engineering firm that operated from 1911 to 1995. Founded by William S. Lozier, the company was noted for its work on numerous regional sewer and water projects, and for the construction of 4 Army bases and ordnance depots during World War II. Dated materials in the collection range from 1922 to 1993, but the material on Lozier automobiles (undated) must date back to the first decade of the twentieth century.
Dates
- Creation: 1922-1993
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions regarding access to or use of the collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use in any current or future manifestations must be obtained in writing from the Rochester Public Library Local History and Genealogy Division.
Biographical / Historical
William Sherman Lozier was born in Scottsburg, New York in 1876. He attended Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, graduating in 1906, followed by teaching at Pennsylvania State College in 1906-07 and at New York University as assistant professor of engineering from 1908 to 1911. In 1911, he founded the firm of William S. Lozier Co., consulting engineers, with a practice focused on civil and sanitary engineering. The firm found rapid success, notably in the fields of water supply and sewer design. He also served as a civilian project engineer for the U. S. Shipping Board in World War I, heading 20 projects for the board.
Lozier Co. grew rapidly between the two World Wars, finding work across New York State. With the coming of the World War II, William Lozier was one of the four individuals called upon to revamp and revise the Army’s defense building program. His firm constructed Pine Camp, near Watertown (now Fort Drum), along with the Letterkenny, Sunflower, and Seneca Ordnance Depots during the war. William S. Lozier retired in 1946 and passed away in 1957. His firm continued successfully for decades more, continuing its reputation for water and sewer work. It is uncertain when the company’s name changed to Lozier Architects/Engineers, but the company was carrying out increasing architectural design work by the 1970s. In 1995, Lozier was purchased by Syracuse-based Galson Corporation, ending Lozier’s 84-year history as an independent company. The name lives on, however, in Lozier Environmental Services, which began in 1980 as a branch of Lozier Architects/Engineers dedicated to environmental sampling and analytics. Purchased from Galson and incorporated by its employees in 2002, Lozier Environmental is an active business as of the writing of this finding aid in 2024.
Extent
1.0 Cubic Feet (1 record carton)
Language of Materials
English
Arrangement
This collection consists of 1 box.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Len Bower, 2022.
Bibliography
“About Lozier Environmental Consulting.” Accessed March 20, 2024 from https://www.lozierenv.com/about-us
Ebersole, Phil. “Syracuse-area firm acquires Lozier Engineers.” Democrat & Chronicle (newspaper), Rochester, New York. April 19, 1995, page 22.
“William S. Lozier Funeral Monday.” Democrat & Chronicle (newspaper), Rochester, New York. December 7, 1957, page 19.
Condition Description
Condition varies across this large collection, but most materials are in good condition.
Cultural context
Geographic
Topical
- Title
- A Guide to the Lozier Architects/Engineers Records
- Status
- Completed
- Author
- Brandon Fess
- Date
- 2024-03-20
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Undetermined
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- English
Repository Details
Part of the Local History & Genealogy Division Repository
115 South Ave.
Rochester 14604 USA
585-428-8370
585-428-8353 (Fax)
lochistref@libraryweb.org