Skip to main content

Fanny Farmer Candy Box

 Item — Object: 1
Identifier: 2014-061

Scope and Content Note

The Fanny Farmer candy company operated in Rochester, New York from 1919 to 1967. This collection consists of a First Edition candy box illustrated with Beatrix Potter-named rabbits with Easter eggs on sides, rabbit in watering can on front. The illustrations are not Beatrix Potter but in a distinct 1950s style. Produced by Fanny Farmer Studios.

Dates

  • Creation: 1950

Conditions Governing Access

There are no restrictions regarding access to or use of the collection.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use in any current or future manifestations must be obtained in writing from the Rochester Public Library Local History and Genealogy Division.

Administrative History

The Fanny Farmer Candy Company began in Rochester, New York in 1919. Founded by Canadian businessman Frank O’Connor with a shop on East Main Street, the company name was an allusion to the recently deceased chef and cookbook author Fannie Farmer. The company grew rapidly with multiple factories (“studios” in company parlance) and stores across the country. The Rochester studio stood at the corner of South Avenue and Griffith Street. Long-time company president John D. Hayes was a savvy businessman who would ultimately be named “Candy Man of the Year” by a trade publication in 1955. He built up the company through even the worst of times; by cutting retail prices during the Great Depression he oversaw a 150 percent sales increase even at the height of the Depression.

In 1962, a proxy battle led to Fanny Farmer being taken over by a New York and New England investor group. This did not hurt the company’s prosperity; new stores opened regularly. (The store that opened at Midtown Plaza in downtown Rochester that year was the company’s 415th.) However, manufacturing soon left Rochester – the South Avenue factory closed in 1967. The company maintained numerous stores in the Rochester area for decades afterwards – as late as 1990, there were 15. However, the last three Fanny Farmers in Rochester, located in Marketplace Mall, The Mall at Greece Ridge Center, and Panorama Plaza, all closed in 2004.

Extent

0.1 Cubic Feet (1 box (6 1/2 x 2 1/4" x 5"))

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

This collection consists of a single box.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The provenance of this collection is unknown.

Bibliography

Morrell, Alan. “Whatever Happened to…Fanny Farmer Candy?” Democrat & Chronicle (newspaper), Rochester, New York. April 19, 2014.


Physical Description

Some minor general wear, illustrations remain bright. One corner seam on lid is torn.

Title
A Guide to the Fanny Farmer Candy Box
Status
Completed
Author
Cheri Crist
Date
2014
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Local History & Genealogy Division Repository

Contact:
115 South Ave.
Rochester 14604 USA
585-428-8370
585-428-8353 (Fax)